Won't get fair treatment in BJP without Yeddyurappa: Shobha Karandlaje

BANGALORE: Even as chief minister Jagadish Shettar delays acceptance of her resignation letter from the ministry - purportedly to arm-twist the BJP rebels - Shobha Karandlaje wants to get done with the party at the earliest. In an interview to TOI, Shobha claims she can experiment with her political career by leaving a national party like the BJP.

Why did you quit the BJP and RSS, which helped you become what you are today?
With former CM B S Yeddyurappa leaving the BJP, who could I trust and bank upon for my political future? This is the question I posed to BJP seniors. As a minister for the past four-and-a-half years, nobody encouraged or supported me other than Yeddyurappa. So whom do I trust in the BJP? The party adopted one rule for Yeddyurappa and another for others, hatched conspiracies against him and were successful.

Will I get a fair treatment now without him in the BJP?

Is there no one in the BJP, who will encourage you?
Besides Yeddyurappa, BJP leader Arun Jaitley stood by me when I was dropped from the cabinet to placate the Reddy brothers in 2009. Jaitley was concerned that I should be reinducted into the cabinet after things became better. Sushma Swaraj was also helpful, but after a time withdrew.

What future do you see for yourself in the KJP vis-vis a national party like BJP, which would have given you a wide political canvass?
Political parties needn't always be governing. I am a person who needs freedom to work and I will get this in KJP. A regional party is inevitable to amplify the issues pertaining to Karnataka. In New Delhi, only the voices of J Jayalalithaa, Mamata Banerjee, Nitish Kumar or Biju Patnaik are heard, only because they are strong regional parties. National parties in Karnataka have been taken for granted.

There is apprehension among those wanting to join the KJP that you will call the shots. Recently, Kannada actor Madan Patel quit, accusing you of denying him assembly ticket from Malavalli.
I have not joined the KJP formally. But how many times has Patel visited Malavalli? The ticket has been given to a local candidate Muniraju, who has been nurturing the constituency for the past four years and quit the BJP to join KJP. What's wrong in that? I am least bothered by such talk.

There was a similar complaint against you of interfering in other departments while in the cabinet?
Let those who speak of my interference cite one example of my seeking favours regarding transfers or for issuing tenders. If questions cannot be asked why should there be a cabinet meeting? The CM can call each department's minister and hold discussions. If one wants to get to the truth, such questions are seen as interference. I am not going to break my head on that.

Would you reconsider returning to BJP, if space and trust is ensured to you?
Where are the leaders in the BJP to call me? The party has got fragmented.

You're reading an article about
Won't get fair treatment in BJP without Yeddyurappa: Shobha Karandlaje
This article
Won't get fair treatment in BJP without Yeddyurappa: Shobha Karandlaje
can be opened in url
http://newsparalyzation.blogspot.com/2013/01/won-get-fair-treatment-in-bjp-without.html
Won't get fair treatment in BJP without Yeddyurappa: Shobha Karandlaje